Mr Kamalarajah is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon with a specialist interest in Oculoplastic, Lacrimal and Orbital disorders.
He graduated in Medicine from the University of Dundee in 1991 and underwent specialist training in general ophthalmology at the Royal Victoria hospital, Belfast, from 1994 to 2002.
He completed a one year fellowship in Oculoplastic and Orbital Surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, from June 2002 to June 2003.
He completed research into the epidemiology and risk factors for presumed infectious endophthalmitis following cataract surgery in the UK and a laboratory based study on the characterisation of biofilm from intraocular lenses retrieved from patients with infective endophthalmitis. As a result of this research, Mr Kamalarajah was awarded the higher degree of Doctor of Medicine at Queen’s University Belfast, 2002.
Mr Kamalarajah was appointed as a Consultant Ophthalmologist with a specialist interest in Oculoplastic surgery in the Western Trust in August 2003 until May 2011.
His current position is Consultant Ophthalmologist in the Belfast Trust and Cathedral Eye Clinic, with a specialist Interest in Oculoplastic, Orbital and Lacrimal Surgery.
He is a Fellow of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists (RCOphth), member of The British Medical Association (BMA) and British Oculoplastic Surgeons Society (BOPSS).
The following operations involve Oculoplastic surgery:
- Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery (blepharoplasty)
- Eyebrow Lift (for droopy/heavy eyebrows)
- Eyelid Ptosis Surgery (for droopy eyelids)
- Eyelid Reconstruction following Tumour Excision or Trauma
- Epiphora (watery eye) – Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR), Lester Jones Tubes, Lacrimal Stents
- Enucleation and evisceration – “orbital implants “
- Orbital Exenteration
- Socket Reconstruction – Dermis fat grafts, mucous membrane grafts
- Eyelid Gold Weights
Mr Kamalarajah has performed over 6000 cataract operations as well as numerous Oculoplastic surgical procedures.