Multifocal lenses are a type of intraocular lens (IOL) which offers patients improved vision and long, middle and close-distance ranges. Commonly used in cataract surgery and lens exchange procedures, these lenses also provide better contrast sensitivity and reduced chances of experiencing visual disturbances such as halos and glares.
Unlike monofocal lenses, multifocal lenses are designed with the purpose of correcting vision at multiple distances. However, whether patients will require glasses following their procedure will largely depend on the type of IOL used in your refractive lens exchange procedure.
Multifocal lenses are inserted via a refractive lens exchange procedure (also referred to as Lens Replacement Surgery or Clear Lens Extraction). This is an attractive alternative to patients who may be deemed unsuitable for other procedures such as LASIK or PRK, and is recognised as an efficient solution for those suffering from presbyopia or high hyperopia (long-sightedness).
Refractive lens exchange is also a common alternative for patients over the age of 40, or those with thin corneas. Put simply, the procedure entails a replacement of the eye’s natural lens with an artificial intraocular lens, allowing patients to achieve clearer vision and a reduced dependence on glasses and contact lenses. Notably, refractive lens exchange guarantees that no cataracts form (this is because cataracts are unable to form in artificial IOLs).
There is a variety of lens replacement surgery procedures on offer to patients at Cathedral Eye Clinic. However, the term is usually used to refer to one of three treatments: RLE (Refractive Lens Exchange), ICL (Implantable Contact Lenses) and Cataract Surgery. These treatments are similar in nature and boast an impressive patient satisfaction rate.
- Expert treatment: The refractive lens exchange procedure is highly effective and is most commonly used in the treatment of cataracts; dry eye symptoms, astigmatism, short-sightedness, long-sightedness and presbyopia.
- New lease of life: Enjoy renewed confidence thanks to a lesser need for contact lenses and prescription glasses.
- Less complications: Significantly lower chance of developing infections in the eye later on life.
- No cataracts: Cataracts cannot form on artificial lenses.
What Form Of Operative Care Is Given?
What Level Of Quality Will I Receive?
Benefits of Multifocal Lenses Treatment
- Advanced treatment: Refractive lens exchange is most effective in the treatment of cataracts, dry eye symptoms, astigmatism, short-sightedness, long-sightedness and presbyopia.
- Enhanced confidence: Enjoy a new lease of life thanks to a reduced dependency on prescription glasses and contact lenses.
- Reduced complications: Substantially lower chance of developing eye infections later in life, as well as a guarantee that no cataracts form.
I had my Lens Replacement Surgery at Cathedral Eye Clinic. Excellent pre and post-operative care. No pressure to commit. Options explained thoroughly and honestly. Decision to proceed was entirely mine. No sales pressure. All staff very professional and evident that they work as a dynamic team headed by Prof. Moore.