With over 10 years of consultancy experience, Mr. McGimpsey’s specialism is in Vitreoretinal surgery and macular diseases, performing treatments such as cataract surgery, treatments for retinal detachment, macular holes, epiretinal membranes, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and lid surgery.
Mr. McGimpsey has been Consultant Ophthalmologist at the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust from April 2009 to present.
He completed his Post Graduate Training (Graham Lovett Fellow in Vitreoretinal Surgery and Macular Diseases) at Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital, Maquarie Street Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia.
Since Oct 2016 Stuart has been Clinical lead Ophthalmology Macular Service at the Belfast Health & Social Care Trust. Stuart is also Member of the Royal College of Ophthalmology Training Committee and the Royal College of Ophthalmology Recruitment Sub-Committee.
Mr. McGimpsey has published a series of research papers on topics such as:
- Pharmacotherapy and emerging treatments in age-related macular degeneration
- Treatment of macular degeneration – controversy and hope
- Retrobulbar hemorrhage after sub-Tenon’s anesthesia
- Cystoid macular oedema and renal failure.
His research work includes:
- Principal Investigator Harrier trial – Phase 3 clinical trial in the treatment of age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Principal Investigator for Cabernet trial – To evaluate the safety and efficacy of epimacular brachytherapy (EMBT) for the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Investigator in the Ozurdex Geneva Study in Retinal Vein Occlusion.
- Investigator in the SUSTAIN trial for AMD.