As Consultant Ophthalmologist, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust, Mr Upendran is primarily based at the Macular service at the Mater Hospital, delivering out-patient and injection clinics for patients with medical retinal disease (mainly ARMD, Diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal vein occlusion and other macular conditions).
Mr. Upendran also works at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast where he delivers a vitreo-retinal service along with other team members. This includes both out-patient clinics and surgical treatments for patients with vitreo-retinal conditions. Mr. Upendran also delivers cataract surgery at the Mater Hospital, Belfast. In addition he is involved in regular teaching of medical students, ophthalmology specialist trainees, other ophthalmology colleagues, nursing staff and allied professionals including optometrists and orthoptists.
Mr. Upendran was a consultant ophthalmologist and VR surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital, Dubai (the first overseas branch of Moorfields Eye Hospital, London) for 2 years, where he provided specialist vitreo-retinal, medical retinal and cataract services in addition to general ophthalmology services. The hospital attracts patients from all over the world.
Mr. Upendran completed his fellowship training in Vitreo-retinal surgery in Birmingham Midland Eye Centre. This is primarily an intense surgical retinal fellowship with some exposure to medical retinal clinics and general ophthalmology. Mr. Upendran worked with a team of 8 Vitreo-retinal consultants and therefore was exposed to a wide variety of surgical techniques.
Overall, Mr. Upendran is experienced in:
- Diagnosis and management of common general ocular conditions encountered in outpatients.
- Diagnosis and management of common eye emergencies.
- Having spent a minimum of 6 months in most sub-specialites in ophthalmology, he is experienced in diagnosing and managing the common conditions that are encountered in each of these sub-specialities.
- Mr. Upendran is especially experienced in diagnosing and treating most of the common medical and surgical retinal conditions like ARMD, Retinal vein occlusions, Diabetic retinopathy, Retinal detachments, Macular hole, ERM, ocular trauma including intra-ocular foreign bodies and vitreo-retinal complications of cataract surgery.
- Performing and interpreting OCT, Fluorescein angiograms, ICG, Ophthalmic ultrasound, automated perimetry and reading of ophthalmic radiological films.
As an ophthalmologist, Mr. Upendran has:
- Performed over 700 cataract treatments independently and under supervision including managing posterior capsule tear and vitreous loss.
- Performed over 300 vitreo-retinal procedures both under supervision and independently. These include both scleral buckling procedures and pars plana vitrectomy for retinal detachments, diabetic retinopathy, macular hole, epi-retinal membrane, retrieval of IOFB, dropped nuclei and dropped IOL.
- Mr. Upendran also has experience in managing common medical retinal conditions like age-related macular degeneration, retinal vein occlusion, and diabetic retinopathy and has a lot of experience in intravitreal injection procedures.
- Horizontal muscle squint surgery, and inferior oblique myectomy.
- Repair of simple lid lacerations and excision of cysts, repair of simple entropion and ectropion of the lower lid, wedge excisions, uncomplicated ptosis surgery. I have performed under supervision and assisted in lacrimal drainage surgery.
Mr. Upendran is experienced in YAG laser for iridotomies and capsulotomies,
use of green laser for diabetic macular edema and vein occlusion, treating retinal breaks and pan retinal photocoagulation. He is also experienced in the use of indirect laser, use of diode laser for ROP treatment and cyclodiode photocoagulation, as well as the use of PDT for treating sub-retinal neo-vascular membranes.