We believe that one’s vision is their most valuable sense. Your eyes allow you to see all the spectacular events and scenery in the world we live in. But how much do you know about your eyes?
Here are 10 incredible eye facts:
- You see with your brain, not your eyes. Our eyes function like a camera, capturing light and sending data back to the brain.
- Night vision goggles are green because the human eye can differentiate more shades of green than any other colour.
- Ouch. Although it is very uncommon it is a fact that your eyes can get sunburned.
- Your eyes become tired when you read or stare at a screen, this is because you blink less often.
- Believe it or not goats have rectangular pupils to give them a wide field of vision.
- It is an actual fact that all blue eyed people can be traced back to one person who lived near the Black Sea almost 10,000 years ago
- Around the world, about 39 million people are blind and roughly 6 times that many have some kind of vision impairment.
- Eyes are thought to have first developed in animals, in a very basic form, around 550 million years ago.
- Ommataphobia is the fear of eyes. Yes this is a real thing.
- Black lemurs are thought to be the only primates, besides humans, to have blue eyes.